Max. number of events in an EDL

Discuss the Editing Hardware and Software here
antara

Max. number of events in an EDL

Post by antara »

Chanced upon something pretty interesting.While generating EDLs in Avid EDL Manager for the DVD subtitles of Ghajini, I realised that a single EDL cannot list more than 999 events. Cross-checked online and seems other people have faced this problem as well...Haven't been able to solve this yet.The obvious solution would be to break up your material and continue in a new EDL...But wondering if there is a way by which all the events for the entire film can fit into a single EDL.Any ideas??? I'm asking around and will post if anything interesting comes up.
Paramvir Singh

Re: Max. number of events in an EDL

Post by Paramvir Singh »

Hi Antara! Nice observation. left me rattled too! I wrote to Avid support and here's what they are saying"
"I rememberThat actually being a limitation for most EDL templates (From my online days. GVG and CMX could only display 999 lines). What template are you using?"
so, what template are you using?
Paramvir Singh

Post by Paramvir Singh »

also the best way would be to split up your sequence in reels, so you won't run into that limit. The CMX and Sony templates I'm pretty sure only allow 3 characters for the event number, so that brings you to 999 events maximum.
antara

Post by antara »

Yes I am working on CMX 600.
Breaking up the material into reels was what we did when we were sending out the subs for the film print.
As of now we are sending out Video and DVD subtitles and for that we have to send out an EDL of the entire looped film, with continuous timecode.so had to do lots of 'jhol' to get it right.Not going to get into all that detail.
I spoke to Neil at Pixion regarding these problems and he tells me he has a workflow going that makes everyones life a lot easier. Hoping to pick his brains on this!
Paramvir Singh

Post by Paramvir Singh »

hi antara! any updates? did you find if FCP has any such limitations?
antara

Post by antara »

No Param,
haven't reached that stage in my current project..for which we are using the FCP. But having several other problems... I'm having a nightmarish experience exporting OMFs on the FCP!
antara

Post by antara »

Through a process of steady elimination, I have reached the conclusion that all the audio matchframing issues I am having on my current project are probably due to working off clones of the same hard drive. Just thinking aloud here....it sounds ludicrous, I know. God! really have to figure this one out!