Ishqiyan vs. Runn

Write your own film reviews. Lets discuss what film-makers think of other films
bakulmatiyani

Ishqiyan vs. Runn

Post by bakulmatiyani »

Hmmm… this may seem like a fight tipped in favour of the prior keeping in mind the track record RGV has had with the past few of his films (read “truly pathetic”) but it’s not as simple as it seems.

Truth be told, Ishqiyan is not as great as the hype surrounding it and Runn is not as bad as Ramu’s previous ventures (read Aag, nishabd, agyaat, contract, shiva, james to name a few).

Ishqiyan has an interesting setting, plot, and characters. A woman using herself as the tool to exact revenge on her husband is after all every mans worst nightmare. But somehow it doesn’t manage to connect to the audience, in the sense that I as an audience did not feel for any of the characters and as an audience I think that is any films biggest failure. If I don’t feel any of the character’s emotions then what is the point of seeing these people’s lives, trials and tribulations?

The film lacks pace and grip, everything just seems to roll along at an unappetizing pace. There is an abundance of crisp, rustic and sharp dialogue but that only keeps me interested till a point after which the story and the characters must engage my attention, but that doesn’t happen. There are also some questions that crop in to the audiences mind like, why does the guy chasing the two men give them the phone to talk to his wife? Even after they have just screwed him over and put a knife to his throat? If it so easy to spot Varma that a kid sees him in the forest why is it so difficult for Vidya Balan I mean Krishna ji to find and or communicate with him? Krishna ji shoots the daylights out of the two crooks and has them at gun point, threatens them only to throw the gun at them and like two school children are men in question fall in line like school kids, all because she called one of then “chutiyam sulphate” that’s convenient. Krishna ji who is smart enough to make two men fall in love with her and make them do her bidding is dumb enough to “udaaoo gulcharre” with Babban knowing fully well that Khalujaan would be on his way back. All these are some of the questions that popped up in my mind, but that’s me I guess.

Throughout the film I never really got a sense of the geography of the house or the village, besides the courtyard inside the house. The edit is patchy and the consistent use of the Fade out and Fade in started bothering me after a while.

What’s good is that the audience is now more accepting of films and stories set in rural India. This along with the use of expletives in films was the reason that Omkara had seemingly lost out to in spite of the fact that it was a superb film. Those very reasons now seem to working in favour of Ishqiyan. Personally I think it is a positive trend. All of us use swear word in daily communication and conversation so why are we so scared of showing it in our films. I say censor ki maa ki beeeppp… oh hell you get the point. Bring out dialogues like “tum karo toh pyaar, hum kare toh balaatkaar”
and “tumhaaraa pyaar, pyaar; humaaraa pyaar tharak”.

Watch the film for its razor sharp dialogue and the best and most sensuous kissing scene in Hindi cinema yet and probably for some time to come.

Wait for the review of runn coming uo in a day or two.

P.S. - Is it just me or did the film not have the kind of camaraderie shown in the promos between the three characters???
Arindam Ghatak

Re: Ishqiyan vs. Runn

Post by Arindam Ghatak »

You are right, Bakul... I was "out" of the film in the first 15 mins... after that, I just kept noticing the technicalities sometimes, smsing sometimes, you get the drift!... the promos were good, the film's a hotch-potch; badly edited, in fact, it's astonishing how patchy the edit was, almost unintentionally not seamless; I didn't care for the characters. It was such a random, pointless film. And even though I am all for expletives, just abuses in the name of spunky realism can't make up for a sloppily edited film with random, convoluted content... Give me Omkara anyday...
However, I did like much of Mohana's work and I love "Dil toh bachcha hain ji"... Congrats Mohana...
Peace...
Arindam Ghatak

Re: Ishqiyan vs. Runn

Post by Arindam Ghatak »

You are right, Bakul... I was "out" of Ishqiya in the first 15 mins... after that, I just kept noticing the technicalities sometimes, smsing sometimes, you get the drift!... the promos were good, the film's a hotch-potch; badly edited, in fact, it's astonishing how patchy the edit was, almost unintentionally not seamless; I didn't care for the characters. It was such a random, pointless film. And even though I am all for expletives, just abuses in the name of spunky realism can't make up for a sloppily edited film with random, convoluted content... Give me Omkara anyday...
However, I did like much of Mohana's work and I love "Dil toh bachcha hain ji"... Congrats Mohana...
Haven't seen Rann yet...
Peace...