BOOK OF ELI : much ado abt nothig at all.

Write your own film reviews. Lets discuss what film-makers think of other films
bakulmatiyani

BOOK OF ELI : much ado abt nothig at all.

Post by bakulmatiyani »

BOOK OF ELI:

Hey the film gods have coughed up yet another apocalyptic saga to add to the miseries of the film going public and yet again it’s totally not worth it. The film is set in a world where most of mankind has been annihilated and those who survived would rather have died. Mayhem and chaos reins supreme through the land and in the midst of all this is a seemingly deranged shampoo obsessed love showering Gary Oldman who is manically looking for a book, oh god sacrilege, my bad; he is looking for “THE BOOK”. This book is apparently the source of some sort of power which it bestows generously on it’s possessor and as expected our man Washington is it’s “possessor”… what a surprise.

Hence begins a fight for “THE BOOK” Washington has it and Oldman wants it, that in a nutshell is the conflict of the film. Frankly speaking I have had potato chips that had more depth than this. For crying out loud we the poor unsuspecting audience is expected to sit and watch grown men in an apocalyptic world fight it out not for fuel, food, livestock or even women; they want a book. I spent the better half of the film trying to imagine what great secret this book would contain, given below are some of the titles I came up with:

1. Post-apocalyptic pick-up lines - guaranteed to work on all genders & species.
2. How to survive in a desert without any water for 300 days.
3. Build a shopping mall with only a toothpick and a pen knife.
4. You can still win – so what if you are the only one competing.
5. Whose cheese can I move?

These are a few of the winners that popped into my head while I was watching the film so yeah it was really engaging.

The film left me wondering as to why Denzel Washington chose to produce the film. The film ends up being a complete waste of time and acting talent of Washington, Oldman and Kunis.

The only upside to the film is it’s camerawork which I must say is pretty good. The bleached out high contrast look adds to the wasted feel of the landscape. There are interesting angles and nice framing on display. Also the production design deserves a mention.

The film however as a whole is a washout and managed to bore me right to the end where it’s surprise ending made me roll my eyeballs and get up and leave before the end credits had finished.

Tech Specs: Only thing to look forward to in the film is it’s cinematography, also because it’s SHOT ON RED. I would look forward to Tribhuvan Babu’s coments of the same.

Only reason to watch is purely academic.