how to access distribution network by independent producers

Discuss all topics related to Film Production
deeptipant

how to access distribution network by independent producers

Post by deeptipant »

hello,

hi there guys.. finally i got my password. thanks to good ol param...

i have been battling with this query for some time now and that is if i have a capability to make a small decent film, then how do i craft a distribution network with out the crores and publicity and other networks....
i would like to know how does this really work, are their agents, people, agencies,... or simply we need to start with networks.... can someone please enlighten me.....

Gurbir sir was telling me that the distributors really never pay u the real amount of profit if u r a small fry... is it so.... so what is the solution or solutions................

ANSWERS AWAITED....

deepti
ftii 2005
Paramvir Singh

Re: how to access distribution network by independent produc

Post by Paramvir Singh »

i think most of us are a little clueless about that part. I am trying to organise some kind of a meet to help this work out. Just give me some time.
Paramvir Singh

Post by Paramvir Singh »

I forwarded your question to a friend who is also a distributor:
"Distribution of Films................West Bengal

Today marketing a film properly is as Important as making a film decently with a proper script, actor, etc.

The scenario of Distribution has totally changed from the earlier years, when films used to have long runs without any threat of piracy through DVD, CD ,Cable, internet, YouTube etc. The film is shown on TV within 12 weeks now so the distribution of a film is now complete within one/two months.

Prior to the release one must know the target audience of the film. Accordingly, the publicity and marketing should also be planned and theaters where the film should be released, finalised.

Are all films fully commercial? .... no, nowadays multiplex films, art films, mass films, childrens' films and many more genres are being made, though if the content is well made it is appreciated from all sections of audience, but only at a later stage once the reports are out and word of mouth publicity spreads through all social website, media, sms and what not. These do not apply to full commercial films like Dabbang, Singham, which runs anywhere anytime and at any hall.

So the person into Distribution must know the areas and what type of audience is more in those centers to release the film. One more thing that one does not need any speciality to be a Distributor of films which are Commercial Hit, exhibitors will queue your office to run the film and if the film is not good only your relations with the exhibitors will help run the film. A well maintained theater is always preferred by the audience and gives good collections, and the theater hire will always be on the higher side from other (not well maintained) cinemas.

There are hundred of reasons why a film did not do well and only one reason if it does well that film is GOOD and audience is liking it.

There are many more aspects which one can only learn with practical experience it cannot be in theory."
Paramvir Singh

Post by Paramvir Singh »

then how do i craft a distribution network with out the crores and publicity and other networks....
i would like to know how does this really work, are their agents, people, agencies,... or simply we need to start with networks.... can someone please enlighten me.....
to answer your question, Deepti, yes, all of the above. Yes, you will have to find agents, meet agencies, distributors, network, TV Channel people, mobile phone operators etc. There are over 26 different rights to a film you could sell, and you need to be doing this full time.

Or just find a professional producer and focus where you should: The film making part :)