ZEISS CP II OR RED PRIMES?

Discusss your Cinematography hardware, Cameras, Lenses, Grip, Rigs etc here
Debasish Banerjee

ZEISS CP II OR RED PRIMES?

Post by Debasish Banerjee »

Hi Everybody
I'm supposed to shoot a project with red scarlet.now for the lens set,i'v to choose amongst red primes,zeiss CP II and carl zeiss primes(older ones).could anyone advice me on this?
also,in a red forum,i read somebody's post saying,CP II images fall at an angle on a digital chip..whereas red primes images would fall straight.need some elaboration on this..
Paramvir Singh

Re: ZEISS CP II OR RED PRIMES?

Post by Paramvir Singh »

Well, I would go for Zeiss Ultra Primes anyday. They are the masters of lens making and they know their glass like few others do. They are lift, fast, huge focal length range and almost consistent aperture.

You should test shooting your subjects on the all three sets and see which ones look the best to you. There is no other way to judge.

The Zeiss CP2s cover a full frame Super 35 4-perf image size. Horizontal angle of view for an ANSI Super 35 Silent camera aperture (aspect ratio 1:1.33, dimensions 24.9 mm x 18.7 mm / 0.98“ x 0.74“). So if you are worried of 'equivalent field of view' to what you are used to with your older Cine lenses, well, don't be.
Debasish Banerjee

Thanks Param.. :)
Debasish Banerjee

Zeiss CP2 covers full frame 36x24 sensor(meant for cameras like 5D).so,when used with red cams,there ud be a crop factor ..of something like 1.39.
Paramvir Singh

Post by Paramvir Singh »

Thanks Debashish. I stand corrected.

Except that the 18mm does not offer 24X36 coverage.
(CP.2 18mm only APS-H)

The B&H PhotoVideo specs page says "Sweet spot effect with APS-C sensors"

Image courtesy: Wikipedia.