Some facts and figures :)

USe this board for general discussions of any type. Its like the chai and talk at the canteen
antara

Some facts and figures :)

Post by antara »

Hope this helps those of you who are new to the city or generally clueless....

1. If you require a good dentist go to Smyllz dental clinic near Nana Nani Garden, 7 Bungalows and meet Dr. Aparna who is good with her work (thats saying a LOT considering I have a phobia of dentists!), very sweet (She let me pay her for 2 root canals over a period of 4 months) - and also kind of hot ;)

2. With the prices of veggies and fruits literally sky-rocketing, I found the local Spinach store a great place to shop for veggies etc at reasonable prices. They have outlets in quite a few places around the suburbs I believe. They run low on stock by evening though.

3. If you are shopping at a Low Price store watch out for the expiry dates on the products....there's a reason its 'low price'!

4. The Just Dial service is available @ 022-28888888

5. Its a good idea to sell off your old newspapers to the local raddi-wala. The current rate is Rs.8 a kilo.... At the end of the year you actually end up with a fairly tidy amount of money in your piggy bank.

6. Apparently one needs to pay the maid double her salary for Diwali.... No maid of mine has lasted beyond 3 months at a stretch so I kind of escape this routine each time.

7. I found SBI very convenient to bank with. They have ATMs in strategic locations all over the city. The minimum balance required is 1000Rs. All cool... except that cheques take unusually long to encash.... 4 working days and sometimes more.
Oh, and on festival days/special days like New Year, Christmas etc., the ATMs run out of cash by evening with alarming regularity. After being stranded without a penny for two consecutive New Years', I should know!
Also I hear Axis Bank has come up with a "Women's Account". You need to keep a minimum balance of 10k and you get a bunch of benefits, including jewellery insurance of upto 20k. Since I don't have 10k to spare, nor jewellery to lose, I think I'll pass. Neverthless....

8. Cotton Decor opposite Fab India in Khar has drapes, bedcovers etc.. very similar to Fab, at slightly lower prices.

9. If you're feeling rich and would like to invest in a bean bag, I found that Lazybag on Hill Road (9820008221) had some really cool bean bags priced competitively. The ones available in Andheri are hideously over-priced!

10. Hathway offers a decent broadband internet connection. A total of Rs.2250 for a period of 3 months with unlimited downloading.

11. The Landmark Sale is usually from mid September-mid October every year. The 'W' sale is in September every year. And erm.... my birthday is on the 28th of May.

12. You need to put in a deposit of 2k in order to get a legitimate LPG connection at home. Else you can buy the cylinder in 'black' @ Rs. 500.

All this is purely from my experience. Anyone know of better deals on any of the above? Please do share.
Also, I haven't quite managed to find a G.P. who wasn't trying to rip me off or generally kill me.... Anyone know??
Paramvir Singh

Re: Some facts and figures :)

Post by Paramvir Singh »

excellent read Antara. Loved teh input about the sale at Landmark.

also check out House Hunting in Mumbai and a list of brokers in Mumbai
PuneetKhanna

Post by PuneetKhanna »

There is a very good General Practitioner I know of. His name is Dr. Dilip Desai. He practices in Malad West so it might be a bit of a travel but it'll be worth it. His clinic is opposite the Flags Restaurant near Liberty Garden in Malad West. I think the building name is Milansar.
admin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by admin »

Dr Dharampal Singh in Shastri Nagar (next to Cafe Indigo), Andheri West is the best I know of.

+91 22-28789881 | +91 22-26361219
Attachments
Added the doctor's clinic. Its inside the SAB TV lane.
Added the doctor's clinic. Its inside the SAB TV lane.
yasha

Post by yasha »

Antara, your typical super, thank you : )
There is a very considerate, good-natured GP, Dr. Parmar. His clinic is at 7 bunglows in the Bank of Maharashtra building. I've consulted him twice, both the times he's given mild doses that worked just right. And he has this calm, happy disposition which helps.
He charged me only Rs.40 (!) each time, imagine my surprise, I was sure I'd heard him wrong the first time.