southern spice

Discuss the Art and Craft of Acting here
meghpant

southern spice

Post by meghpant »

after working down south .. i come to say that it is very impossible to use the craft if one is not in command of the language .. otherwise by reflex or by "majboori" the actor leans to the cheats .. the 123 ABC approach is much better as it at least gives the actor freedom of behavioral choices but if the words have to be used everything goes for a toss ... prompting works only as long as the words are on your tongue waiting to come out and do so in a single suggestion otherwise one is caught listening and on a 85 the camera can be real cruel on that ... trust me i have tried everything that is possible with very very very very average results and i am throughly disappointed...
looking at the increasing trends in the southern industry and the increasing shortage of good actors there, i would like to propose in the acting syllabus that in the two years time one south language be taught so that the students are well equipped to deal with the language situation .. and knowing one language it becomes easy to work in others ...
what do you all say about this ?

trust me, i would seriously pursue this till the logical end
meghpant
Avantika Nimbalkar

Re: southern spice

Post by Avantika Nimbalkar »

Hey Megh! First of all,I must say that I am rather happy that the South Indian film industry is being considered by all of us here.(Hailing from there, I guess I am a little biased!)
Anyway, the proposal that u made about including the South Indian language learning thingy is rather nice and I feel this is the right time to put forward the proposal also, because the Academic council meeting happened recently and in all probability the syllabus for various Film courses is to change from next year onwards. Its still in the process of finalizing the course structures and then they will be implemented from next year onwards. I think this is the right time to initiate it so that immediate action can be taken. Cheers!

Regards,
Avantika.
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life.It goes on.
Robert Frost.
Aravindan

Post by Aravindan »

Hi Megh,
Which southern film did you act? Did you by any chance act in a Tam film called 'Anjathe'. By the way thanks for your post on "Method Trained Actor". I was not aware of this.
Paramvir Singh

Post by Paramvir Singh »

i like Megh's idea of teaching one southern language as an optional elective at the Institute! Why should someone from the north be confined to Mumbai? there is a flourishing film industry down south which is extremely creative, versatile and rewarding. why should it be closed to us because of language! especially since, if you ask me, I am excited by Hyderabad as a city more than perhaps Mumbai... but I cant work there because language is a big issue...
meghpant

Post by meghpant »

arivindan i am still working on the film the film is still not complete, still shooting ... it is a S Films banner film and directed by naga
meghpant
jabeen

Post by jabeen »

I'm currently editing a Marathi film starring Jackie Shroff. We were told that he knows Marathi since he has lived in Bombay all his life. That's true, he does understand the language. In fact, Marath is quite close to Gujarati which is his mother tongue. But he is not used to speaking it and as a result he can't remember his lines. They still have to prompt him.

On the other hand, Renuka Shahane who is directing Jackie in this film, acted in a Telugu film many years ago without knowing a word of the language. She got someone to tell her what it meant and then learnt the words by heart for each shot. Maybe she could do that because of her theatre training. Anyway, she came home really happy with the results.

So I think it really depends on each individual actor and each situation. It's not necessary that if you learn Tamil you will be able to deliver lines in Telugu or Malayalam. And by that logic, what if you get a role in an Oriya film? How many languages can FTII teach you?

Jabeen