New Workstation

Discuss your Audiography hardware here
Nikhil Mulay

New Workstation

Post by Nikhil Mulay »

With great respect to the great geek up there, Im about to build the latest and greatest workstation... for, ahem, audio work ofcourse!! Mr. Admin only thought it right that i do tell all about the config so here goes. This one is going to be my main audio workstation for the next 2 years or so. Ive tried to cram in as much processing as i can afford as of now. Heres the config for all those interesed...

Processor: Intel Core 2Quad q6600(this being my first intel build after countless amds!! But this processor is ideal for audio guys on a budget considering it has 4 cores and protools supports multiple cores. In addition it is massively overclockable!!)

Motherboard: Asus P5Q Pro(Always trusted asus for boards as they are rock stable and board from my first pc back in 2000 is still running fine. Oh ya got a lot of features too)

Memory: 8 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 Mhz(Currently one of the fastest ddr2 memories out there with corsairs reputation for quality. comes with gigantic heatsinks so heat is a non entity here.)

Power Supply: PC Power and Cooling Silencer 500W( the most underrated piece of hardware for a computer but actually the most important. Most pc hanging and reboot problems can be traced back to the supply. This particular brand is known for quality)

Case: Antec( building an audio workstation, cant have a case with masses of noisy fans. These cases have 120mm temp controlled fans for absolute quiteness)

Harddisks: 2x80 GB of raid for the OS and programs and 1x 1TB for storage.

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB( currently the best value for money graphics card out there. It also has HDMI out!! Oh ya and this will drive my 2x19" wide monitors with absolute ease!! Plus this is one of the silent series with a massive fan for more quiet!)

YES i still use a PC and probably will for some time to come. Dont want to get into the argument again but my pc have never crashed and hung and has been on for over 10 days at a stretch without so much as a whimper. Oh ya and this will be smoking fast for protools when i get the MBox 2 pro running pt8.