Gulaal... and then some.

Write your own film reviews. Lets discuss what film-makers think of other films
bakulmatiyani

Gulaal... and then some.

Post by bakulmatiyani »

I was slightly iffy going in to watch this film cause my mother had decided to accompany me for this one and I didn't really think of this film as one that you could/would go with your parents for. But then i thought that she was now a big girl and old enough (read I was mature enough to take ma to watch this film) to see the world in all it's brutality. With that in mind I proceeded to the only government run cinema hall in Delhi that I know of "Shakuntalam".
The lights go dim, I breathe in and it begins.
Without trying to explain the film for fear of simplifying, over-simplifying or complicating things this is one film I would recommend to everyone. A should watch film about university politics and those who willingly or unwillingly get sucked into the colour of what seems like a revolution. A fitting name for a film that packs a lot of no holds barred punches and would leave a lot of people red in the face. The film has a gamut of superb performances by, Kay kay, Deepak Dobriyal, Piyush Mishra, Abhimanyu Singh, Ayesha Mohan, Aditya Srivastava and Jesse Randhawa. Piyush Mishra's music and lyrics have the sting that is needed in such a film. For me Piyush Mishra brings a flavour that is rustic and contemporary at the same time (he is a rockstar). I loved his rendition of "sarfaroshi ki tamanna ab humaare dil mein hai".
The art direction of the film is ammazing three cheers for Wasiq Khan and so is the costume design. The songs are all part of the narrative and throughly enjoyable. All in all do watch the film, I am surely going to watch it again and this time with better sound and projection.
Breathe out it ends.

P.S.- Both me and mom enjoyed it. I love Piyush Mishra, what a performance.
Paramvir Singh

Re: Gulaal... and then some.

Post by Paramvir Singh »

nice review, Bakul. am planning to see it myself one of these days. Piyush has been telling us about teh film and am quiet keen to see it...