Are Theaters shooting themselves in the foot

USe this board for general discussions of any type. Its like the chai and talk at the canteen
Paramvir Singh

Are Theaters shooting themselves in the foot

Post by Paramvir Singh »

Of late, I have pondered the efficacy of watching movies in a theater.

a) most screenings are movies which I dont want to watch anyway
b) too expensive, a movie ticket is today more expensive than the cost of owning an original DVD. Almost.
c) commuting is expensive, time consuming and laborious
d) snacking is waaaaay expensive (they sell a bottle of water for 25rs, when its illegal to sell any product at a cost higher than the printed MRP)
e) disturbances by fellow theater-goers : phones ringing, someone ordering popcorn, someone narrating the plot etc
f) timing mismatches

to add to the list, theaters are going 'Digital' and proudly claiming so. Digital is also at home. So why theater?

My alternative would be to buy a decent large LCD/Plasma/LED TV, a good home theater system and watch DVDs/BlueRays at home. Cheaper (if you watch a lot of movies), more convenient and your own choice of movies. The iTunes Movie store (soon to be launched) sells HD QUALITY MOVIES at USD 5. Plus there are various other sources of getting the movie you want.
Yes, you may not get to watch the latest movies but most of them are lousy anyway. And if they ARE good, you can always pay an occasional visit to the theater. DVDs too are released quiet soon these days...

What say?

So what good are theaters for? hanging around? food court? FAme Adlabs has of late even switched off its lobby air conditioning.