RED Digital Cinema Workflow

Talk about general film technology and techniques, projectors etc
Paramvir Singh

RED Digital Cinema Workflow

Post by Paramvir Singh »

Director Brandon Dickerson had seven days to shoot and post the music video promo for the upcoming Disney release The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian. The concept was to take the song, “This is Home,” performed by the band Switchfoot, and base it on the idea from the new Narnia film that a subway tunnel could somehow be a conduit to a magical, alternate world. Dickerson and cinematographer Martin Coppen planned to shoot band members in a Los Angeles subway station from across the tracks as trains zoom by the camera, and that footage was later cut together with clips from the actual film.

Time was of the essence, and even though Dickerson—formerly a cinematographer himself—and Coppen were used to mainly shooting film, they took the advice of technical guru Michael Cioni of PlasterCity Digital Post, based in Los Angeles, and used the Red Digital Cinema Red One camera for a one-night shoot of the band at a Los Angeles subway station. They did so even though they had very little time to learn the technology.

“The first thing that appealed to me was Michael saying, ‘You’re shooting overnight. You could wait a whole extra day to send film to bath, or you could be editing the next day,’ ” Dickerson says. “I had seen some commercial work that had been shot with the Red, and I liked the look, but it was the time savings that really sold me. The other thing was that the camera rental was less expensive than a film package would have been, and we didn’t have to buy film. So we put the savings into a second Red camera, which really saved us because we could only be in the station between 1a.m. and 5 a.m., which wasn’t long at all, but we were still able to get two angles of everything.”

The Red Drive (RAID) system that is seated with the cameras and holds up to 2 hours of 4K data helped the director roll on things he might not have had he been conserving film. But it was really when the shoot commenced that Dickerson became enamored of the system because of the images he was able to view on his HD monitor.

“Other high-end HD cameras all record to some flavor of MPEG 4, but Red uses Wavelet-based compression similar to JPEG 2000,” Cioni says. This intra-frame, rather than inter-frame, compression scheme, he suggests, is more efficient for the type of work Dickerson’s team was doing. Red, he says, also allows you to shoot in a proprietary RAW, 4K, 10-bit, R3D format, and to also output QuickTime files in 3K, 2K, and half-K simultaneously.

read the rest here