District 9

Write your own film reviews. Lets discuss what film-makers think of other films
bakulmatiyani

District 9

Post by bakulmatiyani »

Aliens and humans, big guns and bigger explosions. slimy creatures tearing thins to bits, blood and gore in abundance. This film packs it all in and then at the same time some where along the way you get exposed to emotions that you never ever imagined you would need to use in an alien encounter of such mammoth proportions.

Without getting into talking about the story i can confidently say that this is a one of a kind film. Simply the fact that someone thought so differently about the whole concept of aliens coming to earth is refreshing in itself.

The form of the film is extreemly unexpected and it creeps up on you when you least expect it. The film very successfully manages to bring to the audience a different kind of a story in a very different way and does an excellent job of keeping the audience hooked from start to stop. I for one am delighted that such form is begining to emerge from Hollywood at such a scale, bravo and kudos to Peter Jackson for producing a great film.

Tech specs: Great Camera work, excellent editing, fantastic performance by the lead actor and a standing ovation for the director. Finally a contemporary sensibility, worth it alien film. A must watch even if you are not an alien film freak.
Paramvir Singh

Re: District 9

Post by Paramvir Singh »

hey bakul! i saw the trailers and was impressed by image sharpness. (it was a film print, from the scratches), but I guess they ran a 4k DI on the film. Want to catchup on the film in the theaters only! No TV this time.
Aravindan.G.P.

Re: District 9

Post by Aravindan.G.P. »

Completely agree with Bakul..I watched it at Andheri Fame, which was a film print though the film was shot on RED. Impressed that the crew had managed to avoid the rich temptation of setting up cliched shots, scoring cliched music and cliched editing , when you have a huge space ship hovering above you and still managed to tell a story about simple emotions in life...it was really refreshing...the lead actor was fantastic...the action sequences are like a first person shooter video games. I loved the guns that the aliens had....compared to them, the biggest calibre and highest magnum guns of humans were like petty fire crakers...(it can be due to sound design also). The film is multilayered. One can easily relate it to what happens in Africa and elsewhere (The film is based in Johannesberg). The war, refugees, migration, nationhood, politics of UN...its all there...go watch it..