Ambience recording on minidisc

General Discusssions for Audiography
Nikhil Mulay

Ambience recording on minidisc

Post by Nikhil Mulay »

Has anyone here recorded ambiences on minidisc? Is it good enough to be usable?  Ive been thinkin of this for the past few months.  You can get pretty decent minidisc recorders for around $200 which can record to hi-md at 16/44.1 uncompressed. And with the 1Gb storage capacity of the hi-md discs, space is also not much of a problem. The only  issue being, are the mic pres that come built in good enough? For the price, i think that is highly unlikely. Even if we use external mic pres and use the line in, again is the A/D converter good enough for a professional sounding recording? This i do not know and was wondering if anyone has any knowledge about this...
Nikhil Mulay

Re: Ambience recording on minidisc

Post by Nikhil Mulay »

Well the world has advanced quite a bit since the last post. Now is the time of flash based recorders doing the rounds. Sony has one that is really great... The PCM D-50 which costs around 30k. I have used it a bit and it sounds pretty damn decent on ambiances.
Sony PCM D50
Sony PCM D50
370x251.jpg (8.85 KiB) Viewed 3679 times
Another one on which i have my eyes on is the Zoom H4n. This is the updated version of the H4 which was well regarded for its ambient recording. It has built in xlr's too but as expected they dont sound too great. But with a portable mic pre, again this really sounds good on the xlr's too!! Oh ya and it can record 4 tracks at once, two on the xlr's and two from the inbuilt xy stereo mics!!
H4n_slant-web.jpg
H4n_slant-web.jpg (23.81 KiB) Viewed 3678 times
What say people about these?