Drop frames in RED

Discusss your Cinematography hardware, Cameras, Lenses, Grip, Rigs etc here
Aravindan

Drop frames in RED

Post by Aravindan »

I was reading an article about how they had shot a music concert at Amesterdam using nine RED cameras. It was interesting to note that the team experienced technical difficulty of handling 'drop frames' due to the 'pressure' created by the speakers in the Auditorium (a procenium actually). They overcame this problem after insulating the 'flash drives' with sound absorbing materials around it. A discussion about the above, with a RED expert here revealed that, the concert at Amsterdam was continously shot for 3 hours and in such recordings drop frames are bound to occur. Anyone with similar experience? probably the audiographers could enlighten about sound waves affecting the recording mechanism of a electronic camera. Also I was wondering how they would have synched all the cameras. There is a 'Jam Synch' option in RED, but it had to activated everytime the camera is switched on....
Paramvir Singh

Re: Drop frames in RED

Post by Paramvir Singh »

Hi aravindan! interesting point.

drop frames in digital.

its bound to happen because the data stream generated by RED would be more than the throughput of the drive system. and hard disk drives are subject to dropping frames when vibrated. the solution COULD lie in using flash memory. thats the reason its said DONT walk around with your laptop running. you can corrupt the HDD. unless its a MacBook Air with Flash memory.
If you're close to a speaker you'll need to use CF card or red ram.
you may only get some 4 minutes or so per CF, but at least no drop frames.

its noteworthy that film has taken over 100 years to evolve and is the most reliable system of, well, filming. unfortunately we are fixing what aint broke.

i was reading a post where someone recording an explosion on a Genesis recorded white from teh beginning of the explosion to the end. the camera, it seems, couldnt take the impact of the explosion. we take an arri IIC and run with it and still get a fabulous image.
Aravindan

Re: Drop frames in RED

Post by Aravindan »

Thanks Param...I completely agree with you...I had posted a little more on Nikhil's HD anyone..