Mutatis Mutandis or Censor Strikes Again

USe this board for general discussions of any type. Its like the chai and talk at the canteen
Tanmay Agarwal

Mutatis Mutandis or Censor Strikes Again

Post by Tanmay Agarwal »

Mutatis Mutandis
Adverb, (used when comparing two or more cases or situations) making necessary alterations while not affecting the main point at the issue.
Origin Latin, literally, ‘things being changed that have to be changed’

If ever it was applicable to anything it is applicable to the present situation that Chal Chaliye, a short fiction film that I have made, finds itself.
I applied for a censor certificate for the film and was shocked to discover that I was asked to delete the two shots of kisses in it, for a U/A certificate, by the examining committee. Shocked, because I thought that the shots were necessary in the context that they appear, were handled sensitively and were restrained. But primarily because kisses seem to be raining aplenty in films, in this otherwise parched monsoon.
I am no stranger to censorship. Final Solution the documentary that I had shot, ran afoul of the censors. That was another political dispensation and the film must have seemed to be a threat to it. However the film escaped unscathed and was partly responsible for the reforms that came to the censor board around then.
Chal Chaliye is a harmless love story about a boy proclaiming his love to his childhood friend short of her wedding to a third person and the consequent turmoil that the girl faces. Considering that it is such a harmless and oft explored theme, I was surprised at the board’s reaction to the very sections of the film that form the turning points in story.

Chal Chaliye Trailer

The shots in themselves are not extraordinary, lascivious, prurient or morally degrading, all the favourite bogeys of the command center of the government’s organ of cinema control.
Principally it is a case of equality before law. Since numerous cases of kissing scenes can be found in Indian films rated U or U/A, the examining committee’s decision seems whimsical. I have sent letters to Chairperson, CBFC and Regional Officer, Mumbai, CBFC to intervene in the matter. The regional officer has asked me to submit the film to another committee (after paying the fees all over again) while I have yet to receive a reply from the chairperson.
Many of us have run into similar situations with the censors. I appeal to all of you to open up the debate on censorship once again. It is the season of change. A new wind is blowing on the oceans of Indian cinema. Let some wind air the halls of I&B ministry.

I have put up a website http://www.chalchaliye.com/ to highlight the case in detail and the attendant issues surrounding censorship in India. Clips from films and articles on the issue of censorship are integrated into the site. There is public poll seeking your verdict on Chal Chaliye. Exercise your vote. Make them see what you think.

Poll also avialable at:
http://www.micropoll.com/akira/mpview/633525-189970

(All the videos and the poll are free for embedding or linking to your blogs/sites/communities. Pick the codes/links from the bottom of the page at chalchaliye.com in the section Press Kit. Help spread the word.)

Author
Tanmay Agarwal
desk.chalchaliye@gmail.com
Last edited by admin on Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited once to embed YouTube trailer