Kaminey + G I Joe

Write your own film reviews. Lets discuss what film-makers think of other films
bakulmatiyani

Kaminey + G I Joe

Post by bakulmatiyani »

G I JOE

I should forewarn reading this review that I have a personal bias towards this franchise. As a child I have grown up on their cartoons and action figures. So in a manner of speaking they had hooked me way before the movie came out at age 7 or 8 approximately.

Getting down to the review; it’s a case of, “ask no questions and get told no lies”. Make no presumptions and you will not be disappointed. The only decent action film to come out of Hollywood since Star Trek. The film has really good action and manages to avoid an overkill of the same unlike a certain terminator salvation. This film is the first of what I think is a series of films to come. The characters keep getting introduced at a brisk pace, though the format of introduction is a little jaded and old school but it works in the film. A fast paced and tight story for which the producers should have thanked David Dhavan as the core story of the film is same as the basic plot of Aakhen, yes the Govinda and Chunky Pandey starer to figure out the similarity please go and check it out at a theatre near you.

All in all:
Pros - Good action, fast paced story, fun characters and you get to know the back story of some of the action figures.
Cons – The UN ie America saves the world yet again, all the characters irrespective of weather they are good or bad are related to someone on the other side, too contrived at time but what the hell it’s an out and out action film.

Enjoy the adrenaline.

KAMINEY

Fex, drugs and rock and roll; and don’t get me wrong I’m not praising the film or shunning it. This is one film that you are going to have to make your own decision. I managed to catch the film a week after it’s release by which time most people I knew had already seen the film and had given me a very strange gamut or reactions. Ranging from the “I hope he doesn’t become another RGV” to “dude what a mind blowing film, it’s so edgy” after a week of not being able to watch the film I finally saw it yesterday and I can honestly say, I didn’t like it. But hey this is just me, one of the crores of people who saw the film and had a reaction.

Too many characters to focus on anyone for long enough which eventually resulted in the audience not knowing whom to root for. Ok fine for a while lets fuck rooting for anyone and try and enjoy the ride. Oh no wrong answer again you can t see anything long enough to enjoy the ride; it gives new meaning to the term shaky hand held feel.

People and reviews had been telling me that its an extremely fast paced blink and you miss sort of fare. And believe me blink I did for I just could not believe that the same Vishal Bharadwaj who made films like Maqbool and Omkara not to mention Makadee and Blue Umbrella has made this film. It just seems like style for the heck of style, which Is really low on content.

One of the initial scenes has the Bengali brothers talking to each other in well Bengali the audience is waiting patiently to try and figure out what they are saying then a pearl of laughter erupts from the Bengali section of the audience and everyone else is left wondering what to do. The same pattern follows with Marathi and then with English.

The cowboy don Tashi seems like an escaped Vietnamese general married to an African lady and just when I don’t want to know what their child is going to look like there she is. Tashi speaks mostly in English sometimes in Hindi and at time even in one of the African dialects, which by the way is subtitled. At which point I start to wonder as why the director wants me to know what the Africans are saying but not what the Bengalis or the Marathis are saying??? At these points the film sort of gets lost in translation for me.

Pros – Fahid Kapoor in the Charlie get up is (at the rifk of founding gay) delicious, Priyanka Chopra in the marathi fari is fcorching hot (reputation falvaged) yummy. Amol Gupte does a nice nagar fevak act and of course Dhan tan dan…

Cons – have you not read anything before thif line???

P.S. – I’m still looking forward to Vishal Bharadwaj’s next film.
Paramvir Singh

Re: Kaminey + G I Joe

Post by Paramvir Singh »

one of the bengali brothers (the one on the pot with his pants down) is wasted royally in this film. His name is Rajatava Dutta (i think i got the surname right) and is an extremely talented person. i was happy to see him (the first time he was revelaed) but disheartened to see such a talent just wsted as a prop.