Digital Cinema Overview : An indian Perspective

USe this board for general discussions of any type. Its like the chai and talk at the canteen
Paramvir Singh

Digital Cinema Overview : An indian Perspective

Post by Paramvir Singh »

Since there is a strong worldwide stress on this, I felt an Indian perspective was needed. A typical Indian Perspective.
Attachments
digital cinema india.zip
(1.77 MiB) Downloaded 397 times
Paramvir Singh

Re: Digital Cinema Overview : An indian Perspective

Post by Paramvir Singh »

couple of replies I got from non-ftiins

from shikha
thank you for upholding the deities of our cinema kingdom
i have a humble request to doyens of cinema such as you, making speedy inroads in digital cinema of which i merely have an amateur understanding..
I would be utmostly delighted if the film prints be released with "star" signatures watermarked on each frame
our pandit xxxxxxxxx says that it will be very auspicious and that growing technology can actually make it happen. Is it true?
she continues:
Thank you for your enthusiasm towards endorsing digital change in cinema and sharing the Indian perspective.
We have undertaken a critical study of the Indian film market. After mass surveys, study of logistics, cost-profit ratios, reviewing the box office index etc we have decided to offer the following services for growth of DI in your country, with a specially designed digital filter kit:

1. Kaun Kapoor can be size 40, but our new squeeze to fit filter will give her the size zero look
2. Khameer Khan needn't waste time gyming as our new layer pack VFX can give him 28 abs...he may spend more time with Oscar lobbysists and meeting visiting dignitaries over environmenal concerns
3. Specially designed botox filter for the ageing supremos
4. And yes not to miss our new technology of dimensional spaces that gives pro look of custom made jungles, swiss mountains, neon painted walls and more....

after all, why hire a team to shoot these. audience comes to see star.

We hope that you will appreciate our correct understanding of why India wants to go digital and give us a positive response.
We are open to negotiating rates on our services

Best Regards
ChasingTales

Re: Digital Cinema Overview : An indian Perspective

Post by ChasingTales »

Good post.
Digital has come a long way. But the technique of using it, is far from maximizing the technology. Majority of times digital is seen as a poor alternative to Film. Even by those who have excelled in the medium. There are few who defend its virtues vehemently.
I think digital is the future. Simply because more and more people are exploring it in unprecedented ways. A lot of innovative ideas are being realized because of the possibilities in digital.
I feel there should be a way to create awareness and easy access to such work, for greater recognition and appreciation.
Unfortunately in our system the decision to go digital is still a budget thing or purely to satisfy a functional routine. Hence the support it really requires during Shooting and Post Production, to get that high quality experience, can never really be addressed. Its like shoot cheap and live with it. I think its very rare that bad attitude across the board, produces good cinema. Anyway people come to see the stars.

An instance of excellent work done on digital medium is "The curious case of Benjamin Button".
Its an outstanding example of technology and technique meeting to produce lovely work. Yes they had the budget to develop and support their ideas, but Its also an example of how the presence of stars did not compliment the technological feat.

Another example is "Three Monkeys" by turkish director Nuri Bilge Ceylan. He won Best Director in Cannes 2008 for this film. Its shot on HD using Sony HDW-F900 camera. I saw it on a dvd and was blown away by the results even at that scale. Its phenomenal how no stars, foreign language and digital medium made a powerful cocktail.

Yes it is the people on screen that we go to see in the movies. Stars are definitely attractive. This can be seen as an innocuous truth or be rubbed into your face by the money spinners.
I don't see how that matters after a point. As long as one is committed to improving ones craft, film or digital, there will be better stories and story telling.
I just hope the digital revolution does not attain glory only because you can play a film out of a pen drive in an auditorium, Or for the fact that you can paintbrush a face, or composite pretty much anything. Or for how close it looks to film!, Or for all the things that you know?! can be done and how its become such an accessible industry. So wow! Lets go digital.