Come together for independent cinema

USe this board for general discussions of any type. Its like the chai and talk at the canteen
Tanmay Agarwal

Come together for independent cinema

Post by Tanmay Agarwal »

Dear friends,

Many of you would know of Onir (My Friend Nikhil, Bas Ek Pal, Sorry Bhai) and his new project called ‘I am’ of five short films assembled into a feature. He is co-producing the film with Sanjay Suri and they say: “We believe that independent cinema exists to give a voice to those working against the tide and outside the system. Our idea is to release each film for educational/awareness/festival purposes and eventually compile all five short films into one release for general audiences.”

These five films are based on contemporary issues rarely discussed in films, like child abuse, article 377, Kashmir exiles and corruption in NGOs. Onir and Sanjay Suri’s company Anticlock Films is raising funds for the endeavour through private contributions.

Their formula for returns to donors works like this:
• Contributions of Rs 1,000 to Rs 25,000 – acknowledgements in the end credits
• Rs 25,000 to Rs 1,00,000 – end credit acknowledgement and reimbursement of contribution after the film is released, when Anticlock gets its money.
• Rs 1,00,000 to Rs 15,00,000 – acknowledgements in the beginning titles of the film and proportionate share in the profits.

The total budget of each short film is Rs 30,000,00, half of which is being put in by Anticlock Films.
For a detailed look at the proposal visit: http://www.scribd.com/doc/18999410/Megha-Proposal

This is the deal
My proposal for you is like this: it will be great to see our names, with GraFTII, in the third category, at the start credits of the film. Of the three options it also a fair business proposition. I think it is a safe investment given Onir's track record and I want to take it further with your support.

1. If we can raise an amount exceeding 1 lakh, Onir is willing to treat it as one donation and give us the return share of the profits, even if we are giving smaller amounts individually.
2. I suggest a fifty-fifty division of returns between GraFTII and individual contributors as and when it happens, so it helps to raise funds for GraFTII
3. It will establish FTII students as a benevolent group, capable of moving capital to support a cinematic cause in the in the public view.
4. Most of all, it will be money well spent on something that is dear to all of us, that is independent cinema. I think Onir's work goes outside the typical divide of 'art' vs 'commerce' and aspires to marry social and aesthetic concerns.

Production value
Speaking of the production, there is a mix of big names and newcomers in all the departments of the film. The cast includes Manisha Koirala, Juhi Chawla, Anurag Kashyap, Purab Kohli, Kalki Koechelin and Sanjay Suri. FTII alumni in leading positions include: Pritam and Vivek Philip on music, Amitabh Verma on lyrics, Ashwini Malik on dialogues, editing is by Irene Dhar Malik and Arun Nambiar is the sound designer.

As far as the financial viability of the project goes, the producers have the experience and expertise to reap the film's potential in theatrical markets in India and abroad. They are also exploring non-theatrical markets through DVD sales in India and internationally, as well as satellite, cable and on demand channels. The highly creative music of the film will have its own independent marketing. They also plan to host event-screenings where the film and a performance is presented to a ticketed audience.

As may be known, Onir's last film Sorry Bhai brought a 50% profit to his investors.

Also note that he has already shot two of the five short films under this arrangement through contributions from 150 people/organizations.

I propose that all of us who are part of FTII get together and contribute towards this project, in such a way that we benefits us as individuals as well as a group.

Come to think of it, what is one visit less to a multiplex followed by a dinner out for the family compared to what that money could do for Onir and a better type of film-making climate in our country? I would add, that this is also not about what we might think of Onir or his cinema. It is about where were we were when it mattered to a filmmaker with positive values. Let's do it for our belief in self supported cinema.

Conclusion
No amount is too small as it is a pooled fund. If you agree, send your cheques in favour of Anticlock Film Pvt. Ltd to Tanmay Agarwal, M-102 Rail Vihar, Sec-4, Kharghar, Navi Mumbai 410210, Ph: 9833422648

Important: mark the cheques with ‘GraFTII fund’ on the reverse. Send an email with details of your cheque amount, date, cheque number and bank to me at tanmayagarwalonline@yahoo.com so that a record of our contributions is maintained, and you can get back to me about any question that comes to your mind.

If you have questions on the project, write to Onir at anticlockfilms@gmail.com

In closing, I'd like to add that I have no personal connection with Onir or this project. I met him on Facebook and connected to the spirit of independent filmmaking that comes across from his proposal.

Waiting to see how you folks respond!

Tanmay Agarwal