3 Idiots

Write your own film reviews. Lets discuss what film-makers think of other films
Paramvir Singh

3 Idiots

Post by Paramvir Singh »

I got this from Aditya Kripalani, with due permission, is being reproduced here:
I know Im in the minority but here's my take on 3 idiots:

WHAT I LIKED: Veeru’s final transformation and that incident with the pen, his final argument about why a pencil cud not be used and then the handing over and submission to Rancho’s force was nice. Aamir Khan was endearing but more for his physicality and my comfort with this persona which I feel like I’ve known for ages rather than the character. MM was cute, and so was the south Indian MUGGER called ‘Silencer’. The flavour of a campus hostel, the rooms, the feeling of being trapped by a system were endearing and these were the parts which worked for me personally. The film also had a very engaging opening sequence as I was immediately hooked into its narrative thanks to the incident where Farhan escapes the flight the way he does.

WHAT I DIDN"T: The villain was weak because he is hardly able to do anything in INCREASING LEVEL of danger to the trio. They can go sit in his class, make fun of him,as and when they please. No Principal of any college is shown to be so weak. And Veeru is shown to be this absolute bastard initially and then when you see what power he really has it is hardly anything. When they start messing around with his system, what real power does he have?? He tries to convince one of them to move out and live with the MUGGER! This is a SCARY, BASTARD principal’s power? Compare this to the villain in Munnabhai 1 or lets says DDLJ or Lagaan and he was directly able to have an adverse effect on the protagonist’s life. And the pleasure one derived was from seeing a proper MOVE COUNTER move. The pleasure of CONFLICT comes from EQUALS. At no point did Veeru seem more powerful than Rancho who is completely unfazed by everything, sadly, even a paralyzed father and suicide really. As for character transformations, other than Veeru’s which was still much better, lets look at Farhan’s parents. They are absolutely unmoving from their stand and suddenly they turn over! Why? Because Rancho puts a photo of them in their son’s wallet saying ‘Agar tum suicide commit karoge toh inki yeh hasi chheen loge’ If this isn’t a sudden melodramatic character transformation what is? Everyone carries an envelope in their bag which then acts as a key to their transformations? Kareen carries her brother’s letter in her handbag, Farhan carries his letter to the wildlife photographer in his handbag?? Contrived! Or Super Contrived?!! And Rancho?! Was the most unidimentional hero. He had no weaknesses, no flaws and so so many times he was completely averse to any sensitivity towards any one else’s problems. He was like this oddball messiah who just poked fun at everyone’s problems and gave gyaan which he already had within him. A hero is much more fun and relatable when he has certain weaknesses, internal and external which he himself overcomes. Munnabhai, DJ, Bhuvan, Ram Nikumbh, Siddharth Marathe etc. were this kind of hero! Which makes then absolutely endearing to me. Rancho was never in danger as a character, even during the ragging. In normal ragging if someone id what he did there would be a sureshot definite repercussion the next day but not for ol RANCHO. If he misbehaved like that with the principal he’d just be rusticated! But not ol Rancho! He NEVER has any real danger and escapes every problem with almost NO EFFORT. At any point do you really see him in fear, doubt, in a low phase, struggling with a solution and a response to the adversities that face him? Be it Raj in DDLJ or Munnabhai MBBS they had troubles which took them to bottom of their capabilities till even they felt they’ve completely lost the battle, until finally through overcoming their toughest obstacles they finally achieved victory which is what they call the sweet taste of success through adversity. And this Maali’s son who goes into the top engineering college on another person’s name and even though he has wanted vidya for so long suddenly he is the last one to study or let anyone else study, and then he tops the institute and then disappears for 5 years! How is this even remotely believable?!!
Pushpendra Singh

Re: 3 Idiots

Post by Pushpendra Singh »

कृप्लानीजी आप minority में नहीं हैं,मैं भी आपसे सहमत हूँ!मुझे इस बात से दिक्कत नहीं कि हीरो ideal script के हिसाब से उसमें fit बैठता है कि नहीं,वो तो है ही पर पूरी कहानी ही मुझे बहुत ज्यादा बनावटी लगती है.करीना कपूर का character ही ज़बरदस्ती डाला हुआ लगता है और काफी सारे situations contrived तो हैं ही वो भी ज़बरदस्ती के डाले हुए लगते हैं.बोमन इरानी ने तो पूरा अभिनय caricature में ही निकाल दिया! और तो और आमिर खान ने एक गाने में उनके caricature को पकड़ के दिखा भी दिया! अभिनय की बात उठाना बेकार है बॉलीवुड में लेकिन बोमन इरानी जैसे मन्झे हुए कलाकार से ये अपेक्षित नहीं था.
वैसे तो पूरी फिल्म का स्टाइल और अभिनय भी theatre में farce की तर्ज़ पर था और राजू इसमें कामयाब रहे हैं.Education system और उसको लेकर हमारी सोच पर सवाल उठाया गया है और यह farce उसी के इर्द-गिर्द रचा गया है!लेकिन यहाँ भी राजू जनता को शुरू से लेकर अंत तक ये बार बार याद दिलाते हैं और एक समय के बाद बहुत repetitive हो जाता है ये सन्देश. फिर भी cinema कितनी बड़ी ताकत है सन्देश पहुंचाने के लिए इसके लिए राजू की तारीफ करूंगा. कम से कम उन्होंने इस मुद्दे को बड़े परदे पर उछाला और कॉमेडी के रूप में बिना ज्यादा bore किये जनता तक पहुँचाया भी.
एक अच्छी कहानी के मायने हो सकते हैं पर यह ज़रूरी नहीं कि वो एक सफल कहानी के भी मायने हो! इस फिल्म की अपार सफलता तो यही दर्शाती है.गौर करने लायक बात है कि फिल्म इंस्टिट्यूट की फरसी की याद फिल्म के अंत में भी याद दिलाना नहीं भूले.जो हिट है वही फिट है,हम चाहे कुछ कहें!!!!