Sherlock drives it Holmes

Write your own film reviews. Lets discuss what film-makers think of other films
bakulmatiyani

Sherlock drives it Holmes

Post by bakulmatiyani »

SHERLOCK HOLMES

OH YES!!!!! Finally a film that was worth the time one spent watching it. Getting right to it this is a film I would recommend to everyone, even if you are not a Holmes fan.

Guy Ritchie has brought Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s legendary character to the cinemas in a most unexpected, vulnerable and entertaining manner. Firstly the choice of Robert Downing Jr for the role of Holmes is an excellent departure from the more predictable choices of saw actors such as Ralph Fines and even Jude Law himself. The second master stroke is the casting of Law as Watson. The pair has excellent on-screen chemistry and charisma. Both actors have delivered superb performances and shown the literary characters in a brand new light. What has made these characters very likable and human are their real world failings and how each of them handles these human vices.

The film is well shot mostly in grays and browns depictive of the time period as it was a tumultuous time when England along with a lot of the western world was coming out of the age of superstition and into the age of science. The background with the under construction London Bridge is fabulous. Presentation of the events in terms of edit pattern and pace is entertaining and gripping. The background score by Hans Zimmer is precise and adds volumes to the overall experience of the film.

On a personal note if anyone know where I could get a hold of the OST of films please do let me know, even internet options are acceptable.

Tech Specs:
Good cinematography, great direction, superb performances, refreshingly witty dialogues and excellent background score.
Only down side if you can call it that is the at times hard to follow British accent.

This one is not to be missed, a must watch at the theater don’t wait for the DVD.
I will be watching it again. Enjoy the ride.
bakulmatiyani

Re: Sherlock drives it Holmes

Post by bakulmatiyani »

Oh yes and i just remembered the background score is is very similar in spirit to this way above average TV series called DEXTER. Also the title seq of dexter is something to check out, it is available on youtube, must watch for DOP's. and beware of the remake titles also on youtube.
Paramvir Singh

Re: Sherlock drives it Holmes

Post by Paramvir Singh »

thanks Bakul. for the uninitiated, here's Dexter's opening credits:

The television series of Dexter is based on the novel Darkly Dreaming Dexter written by Jeff Lindsay and adapted to television by James Manos, Jr.

and here is the official Sherlock Holmes trailer