DSLRs or Digital Handycams? A Survey

Discusss your Cinematography hardware, Cameras, Lenses, Grip, Rigs etc here
Paramvir Singh

DSLRs or Digital Handycams? A Survey

Post by Paramvir Singh »

Dear all,
I am writing this letter amidst extreme hope that it will succeed in invoking a sense of interest in the reader about a research that I am involved in and their feedback would reciprocate the same. I am a senior lecturer of journalism and mass communication at IMS Dehradoon. I am trying to produce a research paper on comparative study of HD camcorders (low end professional e.g. Sony EX3) viz-a-viz video DSLRs (e.g. Cannon 5D MK 2) for the prestigious international journal of mass communication- PRAGYAN (ISSN No. 0974-5521).
Since you have pioneered this field and have substantial experience in using either or both the above mentioned gadgets, I humbly request you to take the following questioner to facilitate analysis of imperative data so that the inferences based upon the same can be drawn.

PLEASE WRITE AFFIRMATIVE OR NEGATIVE

Q: would you recommend video DSLR for shooting in a controlled environment if you have budget constraints?

Q: Would you recommend video DSLR for shooting in a controlled environment
if you don’t have any budget constraints?

Q: have you encountered focussing problems while using a video DSLR?

Q: If yes, were you able to overcome them with the help of any accessory?

Q: have you encountered jell- o problems while using a video DSLR?

Q: have you faced over heating problem while using a video DSLR?

Q: If yes, were you able to overcome it by any means?

Q did you get the desired result (image quality) using a video DSLR?

Q: were you involved in editing of the footage shot on video DSLRs?

Q: if yes, did you encounter any codec related issues?

Q: If yes, did it get negotiated to your satisfaction?

Q: Considering the budget factor, do you think Video DSLRs could be the future of filmmaking in India?

Q: Do you think that regional film industries, especially Bhojpuri and others like it could benefit from video DSLRs?

THANKS FOR YOUR PARICIPATION

Please feel free and encouraged to give your suggestions. For information on IMS and PRAGYAN you can log on to http://www.ims.edu.in

Cheers
Gunjan Sharma
Sr. Lecturer
Dept of Mass Communication
IMS DEHRADOON
Email: gunjanfloyd (at) gmail (dot) com