Scratch BGM

Discuss the art and craft of editing here
antara

Scratch BGM

Post by antara »

Is it possible to pool in our resources and come up with a bank of scratch bgm tracks. Its such a pain to source out appropriate bgm while editing. I know it would help me for sure if I could have access to a track that another editor has used for a similar scene, eg: a nice breezy track for a travelling scene or a big orchestra sound for chopper shots, that kind of thing.
While I am trying to download music from sites like sounddogs.com, I find most tracks sound very arranged. I have already downloaded all torrents available for Movie Soundtracks, but very few worked for me. Other than the Avatar OST and occasionally the Slumdog OST (!!).
Also if we could get permissions from films we work on and upload the BGM somewhere where one has easy access to it. Like an FTP site solely for FTII editors or something like that.
Thoughts?
admin
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Scratch BGM

Post by admin »

sounds interesting and workable. do you need these BGM tracks just for the edit or for final delivery?
antara

Post by antara »

Strictly for the edit.
Also they provide good reference to the composer at a later stage.
saurabh.ftii

Post by saurabh.ftii »

Hi antara,

I have a doubt, say if a composer is specially sitting and composing soundtracks for the editing ref only, what is the actual use of such stock BGM scores? i mean if they are not going to be used in the final film. Will there be any remuneration involved? Hope you don't mind...
saurabh.ftii

Post by saurabh.ftii »

Also do you want just a bank of Stock BGM's aur you want something fresh and originally composed?
antara

Post by antara »

Hi Saurabh,
The only point of this exercise of placing scratch bgm is that it helps to cut with a knowledge of the mood. And if you are screening the rough cuts for focus groups, it smooths out the viewing experience. Also as I mentioned earlier, provides a reference point to the composer. So its a very basic sort of step where we usually just download OSTs and BGM and use those. No remuneration allocated for that therefore, sorry.
My issue here is that most of the OSTs we download are for Hollywood films or if you download from sounddogs.com for instance, the tracks are loops with very little movement. I wish Indian film BGMs were available online (therefore the request to please upload BGMs of any films FTII editors have worked on or even share tracks that one is using frequently). I just think it would give us a great Go-To spot for picking up appropriate tracks and really cut down on the stress of searching everytime.
admin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by admin »

hmmm... sounds like an area where BGMs are stored with searchable tags like mood, emotion, rhythm, tempo etc.

How do you suggest we collect the BGMs?

We can run an exercise where we can ask volunteers to strip BGMs from movies that may be good references. I can offer my office space and computer, plus I can offer online storage and perhaps a searchable+downloadable DB.

Also we can ask composers to donate unused tracks they would have thrown away anyway, but perhaps poorly mixed so no one can steal them.

What are your thoughts?
antara

Post by antara »

Far as collecting goes, I think most editors will have a decent stock of BGM tracks, probably best to select the decent ones and share them.
And yes, would be great to sort them according to said parameters, sort fo like what they do on sounddogs.com. Take a look.
Volunteers is a great idea, but the trouble is that if we rip off dvds we will me getting a mixed track, with dialogue et al.
Would be perfect if we can ask composers, and/or as I mentioned if we can urge every director we work with to donate the BGM of their film. Not like its of use to anyone else once the film releases.
kashish.arora

Post by kashish.arora »

Seems like a very gud idea....bgm's and ref musics are really of gr8 importance, i ve myself got a collection of movies bgm,s which i would luv to share, but on what platform, as in we could create our own webspace or sumthing of sorts, where all this is available. i m game for it.
Paramvir Singh

Post by Paramvir Singh »

Actcually music directors often own copyrights to their sound tracks, and most often, its not the director you have to seek permission from, but the Music Director/Composer or Producer, depending on who owns the rights.

Would be nice to hear what Mangesh and Saurabh Kumar have to say?